New England Camaro-Firebird - NECF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lb9
Chevy 307
Chevy 307

clutch replacement-  Empty clutch replacement-

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 pm
Lessons learned from the clutch replacement so far.........

Lesson 1:   Always open the box at the parts store......

I ordered a new hydraulic clutch assembly.   The part comes in and the parts kid at my local GM dealer opens the box in front of me.    

From the sealed box, only the fluid reservoir comes out with a cut tube and dripping in brake fluid.   The slave cylinder and the cylinder attached to the clutch pedal are missing.

My response to the kid is" it is missing parts"......   he goes in back and finds a coworker to confirm that it is missing parts....     He orders me a new part and a week later he opens the correct part in front of me.  

Lesson 2: Always measure the bolts

I ordered 6 new bolts for the flywheel.    The dealership has 4 bolts and two are on backorder.    I get the new bolts and promptly bolt in the flywheel.  When I torque the bolts, two of them strip out.   WTF....... I get one of the stripped-out bolts out and compare to the original and they are shorter......Back to the dealership.   The kid gave me the bolts for a flex plate not a flywheel.   Then he gives me the line ... this is what happens when you do have the VIN.... I don't think so dumb axx.         I was able to clean the threads up and torque the flywheel with the correct bolt .

Admin likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
https://ne-camaro-firebird.forumotion.com

clutch replacement-  Empty Re: clutch replacement-

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:19 pm
Wow!!!
John in RI
John in RI
Pontiac Sprint OHC 6
Pontiac Sprint OHC 6
https://berlinetta.info

Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:50 am
Pretty big difference in a flywheel and flex-plate bolt,.......  Glad to see that the crank threads weren't too screwed-up.  RED Threadlock on those things !!!!!

Cool

frapjap likes this post

lb9
Chevy 307
Chevy 307

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:44 pm
The clutch and rebuilt T-5 are in....... Took the car out yesterday. Just need to stop a slight leak at the speedo connection. After 14 years, I have a fully functional 2nd gear.! I am still performing 1st to 3rd shifts. I have not broken that habit in the 1st 50 miles with the rebuilt transmission.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://ne-camaro-firebird.forumotion.com

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:05 pm
LOL... What'd the rebuild run you and who rebuilt it?
lb9
Chevy 307
Chevy 307

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 pm
Midwest Transmission in MN did the rebuild.

They turned it around in 1 week. So far so good.

Cost : $1200
Freight both ways $155

$1200 is the standard rebuild cost. ( new syncro etc/ labor/ dyno test/ 1 year warranty ...) Broken internal parts will cost more.....

Admin and RaGiN Z like this post

frapjap
Chevy 250
Chevy 250

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm
Not bad! I had mine rebuilt by Hanlon Motorsports in PA. Maybe a little less, but about the same price.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum